We have put together some advice to take the stress out of moving home. This guide was created to help you keep ahead of the game when there is a lot to think about leading up to, during and on moving day and was designed to help you stay on track. A good plan would be to print it out and place in the kitchen for easy referral.
Martin`s Removal Services make moving easy, affordable and seamless. Even with a large to-do list moving can be stress free!
8 Weeks before your removal date
• Start collecting estimates from local,
reliable removal companies
• Budget for moving expenses.
• Create a file to keep track of quotes and other important information.
• Start researching your new community where you are going to live
7 Weeks before your removal date
• Ask doctors for referrals in your new location
• Arrange to have school records and veterinarian records transferred.
• Make sure all legal and financial records are sorted and in order
• Call your insurance agent to see what changes you need to make to your new House
• Contact health clubs, organisations, and groups to cancel or transfer memberships.
6 Weeks before your Move
• Plan how you will move valuables and difficult to replace items
• Begin a clear out of your home. Separate items into those you will keep, donate or discard.
• Start using items that can't be moved such as frozen foods, bleach, and aerosol cans
5 Weeks before your removal date
• Have boxes and packaging materials delivered if you are doing the packing yourself.
• Begin packing items you don't use often.
• Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it is destined for.
• Confirm your move date.
• File a change of address with the Postal Service, or ask them to hold your mail at the post
office in your new city.
4 Weeks Before your removal date
Notify these utility services of your move (both at your old and new locations):
• mobile phone
• Cable/Satellite and internet
• Make travel arrangements for your pets.
2-3 Weeks before your removal date
Notify these professional services of your move:
• Financial Advisor
• Health Insurance Provider
• Insurance Broker
Notify these services/accounts of your move:
• Bank/Finance Companies
• Credit Card Companies
• Health Club
• Laundry service
• Monthly memberships
Notify these government offices of your move:
• Council Tax
• Confirm parking for removal vehicle. Confirm permits for parking have been obtained if
• Plan meals for the last weeks to use up your food.
• create a folder of important info about your house for the new home owner.
1 Week before your removal date
• Review your moving plans with the removal company. Email or call with any questions.
• Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number.
• Pack an essentials box to keep with you during the move.
• Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment, gas grills, heaters, etc.
• Drain water hoses
• Measure furniture and doorways to determine if larger pieces will fit through the door.
• Empty and defrost refrigerator at least 24 hours before the move.
• Ensure that your lawyer has a set of keys (including garage or shed) and any alarm details of
your old home, preferably by or before 12 noon on the day of completion.
• Advise your Solicitor how you may be contacted on the day of completion, for retrieval of
keys, once legal completion has taken place.
• Take meter readings of gas and electricity from old property and new property.
• Check every room and cupboard one last time to make sure nothing is left behind.
• Leave a note with your new address so that future residents can forward stray mail.